Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Welcoming Ceremony to Kamanjab


On April 18, 2011, I was officially welcomed into the community (Village) of Kamanjab. (Even though Kamanjab is technically a village, I don’t like to call it that because there aren’t many “huts,” most people have access to electricity and we’ve got a “supermarket” with most everything, even if it is extremely over priced) It was also my first official day as a PCV at site. Thankfully, I came dressed appropriately, in my red Peace Corps Polo, because I was surprised by the "meeting" that was to take place. (Thankfully, I am at an amazing site where I don't have to always dress is pants and a button down!) 

His Majesty, King Petrus Ukongo, King of the ‡Aodaman and I
When I arrived to work, I was greeted by a number of people (Around 50 or so) and had a ceremony to welcome me into Kamanjab. There were a number of local politicians, Tribal leaders including the King of the Aodaman (One of the seven Damara Tribes) Volunteers of Pots of Hope, Community elders and the women of our support groups. I was then formally introduced by several of the politicians and the King. There were speeches all around. I was then presented with clothing. My two oumas (Grandma's in Afrikaans) hand sewed me clothing in traditional style. In the Damara Culture, it is a sign of welcoming and embrace to give clothing. We then had a great meal!

My two oumas and I


1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is so cool! I heard that you were also asked to speak and did so in a one of their languages! I'm sure you will never forget this amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete